Travel Advisory: Know Before You Go!
Who deserves a San Juan Island vacation as much as you do? Your puppy! The Earthbox Inn & Spa offers dog friendly rooms (subject to a nightly fee with a limit of 2 dogs) in designated rooms only. Please make sure to let us know you will be bringing your furry friend when you make your reservation and we’ll have food and water bowls, a pet blanket, and a special treat waiting for your best friend.
Wondering how to get here with your pooch?
Washington State Ferry - Leashed dogs are allowed on the car deck, in cars, and in carriers on the passenger decks. Pups ride free. If you travel by car, don’t forget to make your vehicle reservation.
Kenmore Air - Small airline leaving from Boeing Field or Lake Union in Seattle. Larger pooches need to be on a leash and have to purchase their own seat, smaller ones can sit on your lap or in a carrier.
Going to Canada? If you continue your travels to Canada, make sure you've got proof of vaccines, especially rabies, that identify your pup by breed, weight, and color. Certificates must be in English or Français and don’t have to be the original. Remember that all humans need a valid passport to enter Canada.
Where to play?
Our favorite pup-friendly beach within walking distance to town is Jackson’s Beach. Let your dog frolic in the water, swim for tossed sticks, and socialize with like-minded canines, just a mile and a half from the Earthbox. If your dog wants to learn about San Juan Island’s history or see whales from land, rest assured, all San Juan Island Beaches and Parks welcome dogs on leashes.
Doggies around Town
Friday Harbor takes pride in being super dog friendly. You’ll find water bowls outside most businesses, although many prefer your pup waits outside.
For fancy kibble, new bling, a dog ball slingshot, or an Island-made treat, check out Friday Harbor Pet Supply on Web Street.
The Whale Museum welcomes well-behaved dog visitors. Check out the large bones on the whale skeletons (no licking the glass, please!).
When taking an after dinner stroll through town, don’t miss the Port of Friday Harbor’s must-see dog water fountain, built into its human water fountain. Now that is service.
Need a ride? Suzie’s Mopeds rents Scoot Coupes, a sort of two person, side by side moped (or one person plus one dog or two persons plus one tiny dog), a truly awesome way to explore the island. If this is your way to travel, you have to promise to send us a picture with you and your pooch!
Doggie Spas & Doggie Day Care
Our friends at Pampered Pets (360-378-8480, Monday through Friday only) will bathe your furry friend, regardless of size or level of muddiness, and give her a hair makeover and a pedicure. Pampered Pets is located on Wold Road on your way to the Pelindaba Lavender Farm, where pups are allowed in the demonstration garden and the cutting field and always get a freshly baked lavender dog biscuit.
Want to go on a kayak trip or a whale watch tour, but they don’t allow pets? Don’t worry. The 30-acre Animal Inn is veterinarian-owned and offers day care, overnight lodging, dog massages, dog acupuncture, and vet services. Just be warned, Fido might have so much fun, he won't want to leave!
- Cafe Demeter, (breakfast and lunch only) 80 Nichols St, Friday Harbor, (360) 370-5443, a lovely European style cafe, allows pooches on their deck.
- Friday’s Crab House, 65 Front St, Friday Harbor, (360)-378-8801, Friday Harbor’s open air, seasonal seafood restaurant, allows furry friends.
- The Back Door Kitchen, (dinner only) 400 A St, Friday Harbor, (360) 378-9540, Northwest Fusion with local and organic ingredients, allows pups in their amazing outdoor garden.
- The Market Chef, (lunch only) 225 A St, Friday Harbor, (360) 378-4546 an unforgettable Deli, makes everything from scratch from local and organic ingredients, and allows furry friends on their deck.
- The Red Checkered Picnic (summer, daytime only), inside the Lime Kiln State Park, 6100 Limekiln Rd, 8 miles out of Friday Harbor, serves high quality picnic fare. Grab a picnic bench by the water, enjoy a caprese salad and ice cream and look for whales. No barking!
- The Lime Kiln Cafe (breakfast and lunch only) on the other side of San Juan Island, located inside Roche Harbor Resort, serves uncomplicated breakfast and lunch, which you can enjoy with Fido on the picnic tables lining the way down to the marina.