How well do you know San Juan Island? Do the Insider Test!
Perhaps you have been coming here since you were a little kid. Maybe you consider San Juan Island your home away from home. You have been on and off the beaten paths, know the hidden coves, the best place to eat fresh oysters and when the wildflowers are in bloom. But are you truly a San Juan Island expert? Find out with the ultimate San Juan Island Insider Test! Results are on the bottom. Have fun!
1. How many traffic lights are on San Juan Island?
2. Which famous actor had his own oversized bathtub installed in one of San Juan Island’s historic hotels (it’s still in use today)?
- Ronald Reagan
- Kirk Douglas
- John Wayne
3. What family are our Orca Whales the largest member of?
4. Who were the first settlers on San Juan Island?
5. What’s the name of the half-blind harbor seal living in the port of Friday Harbor?
6. What’s the highest, publicly accessible mountain on San Juan Island?
- Mt Young
- Mt Grant
- Mt Dallas
7. Who arbitrated between Britain and America to decide the land dispute initiated by the pig war?
- Kaiser Wilhelm
- Ulysses Grant
- George Pickett
8. What animal won’t you find on San Juan Island?
a) Rhinoceros Auklet
b) Wild Turkey
9. How much wood per day did it take to fire up one of the island’s Lime Kilns?
- ½ a cord
- 3 ½ cords
- 5 ½ cords
10. How far do Gray Whales migrate to spend their summers in the San Juan Islands?
- 9,000 miles
- 3,000 miles
- 5,000 miles
Results: 1b, 2c, 3a, 4a, 5c, 6b, 7a, 8c, 9b, 10a